Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Kindness of Others

Within the last month, our family has experienced some kind acts performed on our behalf. I thought I would take this time to mention a few of them.

I have been a frequent shopper at Jo Ann's fabric store recently and each visit I have been surrounded by several others waiting in long lines to have their fabric cut. On one visit I was waiting, patiently while my kids were not. I had 2 frustrated kids in the cart and was doing all I could to keep them quiet and happy. A sweet, sweet lady came up to me and asked what my number was. (since the lines were so long you had to take a number) I told her and she said, "Here," and handed me her number. Because of her kindness I was basically next in line and she would still have to wait longer. She told me she was a grandma and had been in my place before. I thanked her immensely and was so appreciative of her thoughtfulness.

Another instance of kindness came from a sweet, sweet, sister in our ward. She approached my husband about a month ago and told him that we were to pick a weekend to go away for the night and she would come to our house, watch our four children and stay the night with them. What do you say to an offer like that?! So this last weekend we went to Park City for the night and enjoyed every minute of it. That was an "extreme" act of kindness and we were so grateful to have the night together away from distractions and the phone ringing.


On our way home from Park City we experienced another act of kindness. Clint's car has trouble making it over hills if his gas tank is below half full. Something with the fuel pump, yaddi, yadda. So we were coming home and trying to make it over an incline when the car starts puttering. Gas tank below the halfway mark. We pulled over to the side of the road 1/2 mile from the gas station. Clint leaves to get more gas and on his way back a kind man offered him a ride back to the car.

I am so grateful for all these kind acts and hope I can do my part in performing kind acts for others. Have you been the recipient of a kind act recently? If so, I would love to hear it.

5 comments:

Stacee said...

I love your experiences. It's good to be reminded how much of a difference a little act of kindness can make. I was at Costco a few years ago with my 3 little girls. We had stood in a LONG line to get hot dogs and sat down at a table far from the ordering window. My youngest dropped her hotdog on the ground right after I gave it to her. There was no way I was going to haul all my kids back in line to wait again. A man saw what happened and immediately jumped up and said he'd take care of it. He brought us back another hot dog. This little act made a HUGE impression on me. It really meant a lot that he noticed and cared about our little hot dog problem! I will never forget it and hope I can pay attention to the little things, too!

Diana said...

You definitely deserve these acts of kindness because you are always so kind to others. Having Mom watch Thomas while we were on a weeklong cruise was definitely a huge act of kindness in our behalf. And they were both sick the entire time!

mamagee said...

It does the heart good to hear these wonderful acts of kindness. Thanks so much for sharing.
Love, Favorite Aunt Linda

Sarah said...

Great stories! What comes around goes around...You're such a nice person. :)

Ernest Istook said...

Random acts of kindness--when they are unexpected--are always heart-warming. Our challenge is to be more on the giving end than on the receiving end.