Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Sweet Surprise

While my parents were here for Christmas, I got to talking to my mom about the decorations she puts out for Christmas. I told her that ever since I was a child I always loved this little ceramic Christmas tree of hers that lights up. Something about it just made me smile and I remember always being excited when she placed it out every year. I loved that little tree.

I told my mom that when she passes away, I would love to inherit that Christmas tree. She just laughed and smiled.

Well, a few days ago I received a package in the mail from my mom with the words FRAGILE stamped all over the box. I had no clue what she could be sending. I opened the box and to my surprise there was the little ceramic Christmas tree. A note inside read, "I thrillingly give this tree to you. I would rather be alive and see the joy it brings to you."
My sweet, sweet mother. I love this little tree and I have left it on the counter for a week so I could enjoy it. This Christmas will be extra special when I pull the tree out and think of you. I love you mom!

5 comments:

Konomis said...

I always liked that tree too...when you die, can I inherit it from you Amy? j/k

That was so sweet and thoughtful of mom!

Hermana Macy Udy said...

Lol Emily! Actually Macy already asked first if she can have it when I die!

That was a very sweet thing mom did. Love her!

Diana said...

I remember watching the lights on that tree glow in the middle of the night. It was magical indeed! So glad you have it. I guess I've joined in on the 'death requests' a little too late.

Sarah said...

Loved this story! You're Mom is so sweet. Love the tree.

Stacee said...

(sniff, sniff...) aren't moms the best? what a sweet note she included. love it!