Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Olympic Spirit

From a young age I learned to have a passion for the Olympics and all the emotions, hard work and dedication it brings. This lesson came from my sweet mother who had and still has such a love for the Olympics. I remember on several occasions my mom pulling out her record (yes it was a long time ago!) of the theme music to the Olympics and having all five of us kids march around the house to get into the spirit of the games. Oh what fun that was, marching with my siblings, hearing the music, and thinking of how hard each of the athletes worked in their respective sport.

Now I am the mom, and I want my kids to have that same love and passion for the Olympics. In 2008, when the Olympic games were in China, our family started to bring in this spirit of competition and began a new tradition. Every two years when the games are held we watch the Opening/Closing Ceremonies and various events together as a family while we also enjoy a food item from the host country. So two years ago we watched the games while eating Chinese food, and this year we watched while enjoying Canadian Bacon Pizza (Macy's choice) and drinking Canada Dry Ginger Ale.



I love this new tradition and love even more seeing the kids enjoyment in the competition. The kids really have gotten into the spirit of what the Olympics brings and have watched in delight as they have seen snowboarders do flips, skaters skate incredibly fast, ice skaters perform amazing spins, and skiers ski onto victory. This has been a wonderful Olympics and I have found myself in tears several times after seeing athletes reach their personal victories!

Some of my favorite highlights of the games:
- Apolo Ohno winning his eighth career medal
- Joannie Rochette skating onto a Bronze in the women's figure skating after her mom's unexpected death just a few days prior to competition.
- Bode Miller redeeming himself in the Olympics after a poor showing in Italy.
- And I absolute love to hear all the inspiring stories of different athletes and how they all triumphed over trials, difficulties, injuries and went on to pursue their Olympic dream.

5 comments:

Beau and Rach said...

We heard they were pretty good! We some how missed all but the closing ceremony yesterday but enjoyed seeing at least that! :)

Debbie said...

What a fun tradition! On a side note, I need your email address. Apparently Clint wants you to have the corn salsa recipe! :)

Diana said...

I remember all of that marching around! Why didn't you carry on that tradition? That's the best! I'd love to see your kids' excitement.

mamagee said...

And I loved sharing a brief moment of the Olympics with you and your wonderful family!! As soon as I can put the software on my computer to download my new camera, I will send you the pictures!!
Love, Favorite Aunt Linda

Mom said...

I remember those moments when you were young and we all listened to the Olympic music. I also remember getting the pots and pan lids out and we would bang them together when we marched around. I love your tradition you have started with your family. The message of the Olympics to me is to always strive for excellence in everything you do.