Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Scary Day

Monday afternoon we had a very scary moment in our home. We had given Tyler a bottle of formula (I do normally breastfeed but I had to step out of the house for a moment) which he had taken one other time before. Within 30 minutes of his feeding his whole body broke out in one big rash and then his face swelled. I have never seen a babies ears swell so large. They looked like a wrestler's ears.

Things started to get even worse and Tyler turned white as a sheet and his lips turned blue. He was barely breathing and I hurried and called 911. The paramedics got here in a few minutes and didn't even try to work on him at the house. He needed to get to the hospital ASAP. At the emergency room they gave him a steroid to help open his airways and relax his lungs. Within a few hours his rash had disappeared and his color began to come back.

It was a very scary moment for all of us, and I am so grateful to my neighbors who ran over to the house to help. They came and took the other three kids so we could go up to the hospital. I am also so very grateful to my Heavenly Father for protecting my little boy and allowing him to stay with us. Prayers are answered.

Now our next step is to have some allergy tests done to determine what Tyler is so allergic to that would cause that severe of a reaction.

6 comments:

Diana said...

I am so glad it all worked out. Tell Tyler he's reached his quota on hospital visits!

THE UDYS said...

Oh my gosh Amy I can't believe that happened, I am so glad Tyler is o.k. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

Trying to be said...

WOW! I am so grateful that he is ok. Let us know what he is allergic to. Poor guy! what a rough month for you all! We love you guys!!

Jason and Layna said...

You have been through so much lately. Its amazing what we can handle. I hope you find out what is wrong with him quickly.

Tam said...

I am so glad to hear things worked out so well. We had to go through some allergy stuff with James and we thought he was allergic to milk but everything just cleared up one day!! I still don't know what was going on...

Becky Darling said...

WOW!!!! Have you by chance changed your name to the Hancocks???? j/k that is SO scarey. I hope everything works out ok. Poor little guy!!!!