Friday, May 2, 2008

What Is This?


Last Tuesday I noticed a slight bulge in Tyler's groin area and decided it was something that needed to be checked. So Wednesday I took him in to see the pediatrician and from there I was sent to the Emergencgy Room at Primary Children's Medical Center. After an evaluation we were informed that Tyler had a hernia and would need an operation. I stayed the night at the hospital with him Wednesday, and Thursday morning he had surgery to repair two hernias. Our little guy was quite the trooper and has bounced back perfectly. The picture was taken during the surgery and shows the needed repair.


We are hoping this next week will be an uneventful one!

7 comments:

Susan said...

How did he get a hernia? That is a little scary! I am glad that he is bouncing back.

Jason and Layna said...

I can't believe all that he had to go through. I am so glad that he is doing better.

mamagee said...

So glad everything was a success and he bounced back!! How was the blessing? Hope things went smoothly. Love ya
Favorite Aunt Linda

Trying to be said...

AMY! wow! do they know how he got them? that is crazy. i am so glad that he is ok now! if you need anything, please dont hesitate to ask!!! :)

Tam said...

Wow - when I first saw the picture I thought it was a planet! I am with everyone else... do they know how he got them? I hope he starts feeling better soon. But how is his mommy? Good luck sweetie

Hermana Macy Udy said...

Apparently these operations are fairly common in younger kids. The surgeon said they perform 2-3 a day! WOW!

Now for a small history lesson. When the baby is developing in utero, there are two small openings on both sides of the scrotum for the testicles to descend through. Sometimes the openings do not close and if they don't close, part of the intestines can get caught through this hole and cause some serious problems. This is what happenned with Tyler.

If you notice in the picture you can see the opening and that is not supposed to be there. It should lay flat.

I hope that is clear as mud! :)

Ernest Istook said...

Amy you explain it very clearly. As you know, I had the same issue as a young child, so Tyler perhaps inherited it from me. So if he has my genes he will be incredibly smart and handsome!